Carrboro house fire under investigation

From Staff ReportsJanuary 9, 2006 

The Carrboro Fire Department was investigating Sunday a house fire in which a man died the day before, officials said.

Carrboro firefighters found James G. Edwards, 73, of 428 S. Greensboro St., in his smoke-filled bedroom Saturday afternoon.

Though the fire was in the living room and never spread into Edwards' bedroom, smoke filled many parts of the house and likely killed the man while he was napping, said Capt. Carl Freeman of the Carrboro Fire Department.

Edwards' home didn't have any smoke detectors, Freeman said.

"You've got to have smoke detectors in your home if you want to survive -- working smoke detectors," Freeman said.

Firefighters responded to a call about 2:35 p.m. from a person passing by who noticed smoke coming out of the eaves of the house's attic.

When they arrived, Freeman said, firefighters found the living room on fire, including the sofa.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service