Raleigh man shot dead; police charge nephew

Police say the men argued over dogs

Staff WriterMarch 24, 2006 

Police think an uncle and nephew's argument over dogs led to the shooting death of Steven Anthony Poole outside his Southeast Raleigh home Thursday afternoon.

Poole, 39, was across the street from the home at 415 Alston St. that he shared with his mother, Rosa Poole, when he and nephew Michael Anthony Poole, 26, began fighting, Raleigh police said.

Michael Poole, who lives an apartment at 4921 Tall Timber Drive, was keeping several of his dogs at the Alston Street home, said Jim Sughrue, spokesman for the Raleigh Police Department.

The argument over the dogs' care escalated and, about 1:20 p.m., several shots were fired, hitting Steven Poole at least once in the head, Sughrue said.

Michael Poole fled the scene, not realizing that the gunshot wound was fatal, family members said.

"His grandmother told him to just leave," said Diann Fairley, the fiancee of Steven Poole's older brother, Bobby.

Fairley described the shooting as an accident.

"He did not intentionally hurt his uncle," Fairley said.

Michael Poole called the family shortly after the shooting and learned that his uncle had died at WakeMed Raleigh Campus, Fairley said. He was arrested without incident at 4 p.m. at the Lake Boone Shopping Center by the Raleigh Police Department's Fugitive Task Force.

Poole is charged with murder and was being held at the Wake County jail Thursday night.

Before finding Poole, police shut down a wide swath of the neighborhood to the east of Shaw University. Nearby Ligon Middle School was temporarily placed on lockdown. City animal control officers also stood by as three large dogs roamed near homemade dog houses and barked.

Family members of both men gathered at the home where Steven Poole, the youngest of six, lived with his mother.

His brother, Elvin Poole Jr., said family members were shocked.

"It's just one of those things," Elvin Poole said.

A graduate of Broughton High School, where he played football, Steven Poole was described as a hard worker who had worked odd jobs over the years. He had been convicted of misdemeanors for assault, larceny, drug possession and public intoxication, court records show. His nephew, Michael Poole, did not appear to have any prior arrests in North Carolina.

The idea that Steven Poole died at the hand of a family member made the situation more difficult, Fairley said.

"You have two losses instead of one," she said.

(Staff writer Jennifer Brevorka and news researcher Brooke Cain contributed to this report.)

Staff writer Sarah Ovaska can be reached at 829-4622 or sovaska@newsobserver.com.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service