Triangle Briefs

Family homeless after apartment fire

From Staff ReportsNovember 30, 2006 

— A grandmother, mother and six children are homeless after a fire ripped through their apartment Wednesday morning.

The fire began about 9 a.m. at 3915 Dearborn Drive, Apt. 6.

The blaze likely was sparked by a fan plugged into an extension cord, said Jody Morton, a Durham fire inspector.

The grandmother, whose name was not released, was upstairs when the fire started. She tried unsuccessfully to extinguish it and then escaped unharmed with her 13-year-old granddaughter.

The apartment was destroyed, but no other units were damaged, Morton said. No one was hurt.

The Red Cross was trying to find temporary housing for the family. The Durham Fire Department is adopting the family. Anyone who would like to drop off goods such as clothes or toys can take them to any city fire station.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service