Athletes to watch
* Trojans shortstop hit .392 in 2006 with 6 home runs, 3 triples and 6 doubles.
Wake Forest-Rolesville, senior
* Posted an 8-2 record with a 1.29 ERA. Also hit .429 with homers.
West Johnston, senior
* Struck out 145 hitters and walked 15 in 129 innings to build a 14-3 record.
* 18-6 record in 2006 with 0.49 ERA and 270 of her 816 career strikeouts.
North Johnston, senior
* Built a 15-6 pitching record with a 1.94 ERA.
Chapel Hill, senior
* Tigers shortstop hit .449 in 2006 and has signed with UNC-Wilmington.
Greenville Conley, senior
* Lefty had an 11-2 record with 158 strikeouts, four walks and a 0.41 ERA.
Harnett Central, senior
* N.C. State recruit is among the state's best pitchers.
Durham Riverside, junior
* Hit .489 and had 8-2 record with a 1.47 ERA as a pitcher.
Teams to watch
* Pitchers Ashley Driver and Lyndsey Wilson and shortstop Maghan Place should make defending Northern Carolina 2-A champ hard to beat.
* Comets pitcher Sarah Jackson may approach 1,000 career strikeouts this season.
* The return of pitcher Samme Lisowsky (she had moved to Texas, but was 16-3 for the Tigers in 2005) and the return of eight starters make the Tigers a team to beat.
* Nine starters and three pitchers return from a 20-4 club.
* The Trojans should have a potent attack and play solid defense.
* The Panthers have won four straight Carolina 1-A titles. Catcher Whitney Parrish hit .449 and sophomore Casey Creech hit .444.
* The Pirates return six starters from an 18-5 team and have outstanding pitching depth with junior Jenn Ladd (9-3, 1.27 ERA) and Christie Thomas (8-2, 1.47).
* The Wildcats return nine starters, including shortstop Ashley Fowler (.425), from a 16-7 club.