Hunt for carp bogged down in muddy trap

Staff WriterOctober 3, 2007 

  • Instead of a hook and line, some fishermen use a bow and arrow to catch fish in shallow water. A barbed arrow is connected to the bow with a line often spooled on a conventional fishing reel.

    Bowfishing is most often done from the deck of a small boat. "Rough" fish (often called trash fish) such as carp, gar and bowfin are the most popular species for bow anglers in North Carolina.


— Bow and arrow in hand, Donald Meeks went hunting carp on Falls Lake and almost didn't come back.

He set out Monday morning. Not till after midnight did a Highway Patrol helicopter crew find the 68-year-old Durham man stuck in mud up to his chest near the Interstate 85 bridge.

Meeks, a retired landscaper, had gone on foot out on the lake, where water is low because of the drought. He was "bowfishing," a common way to catch carp in shallow water.

An old high school friend, David Minshew, came for the ride but not the hunt. As Meeks set off through the woods, Minshew waited by the car, expecting to do so for just a few hours.

Afternoon came and went. Minshew grew worried. The sun set.

About 7 p.m., a motorist stopped to see whether he was stranded. Minshew borrowed the driver's cell phone to report his friend missing, then called Meeks' wife, Faye.

"I didn't know if he had a heart attack," she said. "Everything goes through your mind."

Durham County sheriff's deputies used boats to search the area, where grass grows as high as 3 feet. At midnight, Maj. Mike Andrews asked for a Highway Patrol helicopter.

The helicopter crew, using thermal-imaging equipment, found Meeks at 2:11 a.m. Tuesday. He was about 300 yards north of the interstate surrounded by tall grass.

"He was buried up to his chest in some mud, quicksand-type matter," Andrews said.

Deputies almost ended up like Meeks when they stepped off their boats into the muck. They tried pulling him out with a rope, which didn't work. A deputy who lives nearby used his all-terrain vehicle to get close, then created a walkway to Meeks out of plywood. It took two hours to get him out "using elbow grease," Andrews said.

On Tuesday evening, after sleeping most of the day, Meeks said he had simply been walking when he fell in a hole. As the hours passed, he began to despair. "I asked Jesus what in the world I had done to deserve this," he said.

Cold and wet, he began hallucinating, he said.

"I thought about being in my warm bed and not out here shivering," he said. or (919) 812-3381

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service