2 arrested in Durham slayings

Murder charges filed in shootings

Staff WriterDecember 20, 2007 

Two men were arrested Wednesday in connection with two recent killings in Durham.

Billy Jerome "Li'l Bill" Richardson Jr., 22, of Commonwealth Street was charged with murder in the Saturday night shooting of Paul Maye, 42, of Massey Avenue. In the same incident, Richardson was also charged with first-degree burglary, robbery with a dangerous weapon and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.

According to a news release from the Durham Police Department, officers responding to a call about a burglary in progress at 9:34 p.m. Saturday found Maye dead in a home at 200 W. Enterprise St. Investigators have said the shooting occurred during a home invasion but have not said why Maye was in the home.

A short time after finding Maye, officers found a man shot in the arm at Bell's Amoco on Lakewood Avenue. The man told officers he had been in the Enterprise Street home during the home invasion.

Also Wednesday, police said Michael Kelly, 20, was charged with murder in a Nov. 16 drive-by shooting that left Cody Gurley dead.

Gurley, 21, of Liberty Street was in a Honda Accord near Fayetteville and Ramseur streets about 5:20 p.m. Nov. 16 when a white Jeep Cherokee pulled up beside it. At least one shot was fired into the Honda from the Jeep.

The Honda ran off the right side of the road near East Main and Elizabeth streets and struck a power pole. The Jeep pulled up to the Honda, and several more shots were fired.

Gurley died at Duke Hospital a short time later. Another man in the Honda, Deshaun Mitchell, 24, of Lowry Avenue, also was injured.

Kelly was already in jail facing five charges stemming from a Nov. 17 shooting. In that incident, police said, three men in a burgundy car pulled up to the Caroco convenience store at 702 N. Alston Ave. and fired shots into the store and parking lot. No one was injured.

Kelly had been arrested earlier this year in connection with a March 23 shooting that injured a 14-year-old boy and a March 7 shooting with no injuries. He's charged with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and one count of felony conspiracy in the latter case.

Anyone with information is asked to call Cpl. N.M. Cloninger at 560-4440, ext. 245; Sgt. Jack Cates at 560-4440, ext. 262; or CrimeStoppers at 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases. Callers do not have to identify themselves.

marlon.walker@newsobserver.com or (919) 836-4906

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service