Bank robbery suspect was recently evicted

Staff WriterMarch 5, 2008 

— Police think a man robbed a North Raleigh bank a little over an hour after he and his family had been evicted from their home, according to a search warrant made public this week.

Investigators also suspect Daryle Bernard Carter, 39, of 4313 Haverty Drive in Raleigh was involved in another bank robbery weeks earlier in Knightdale, according to the warrant.

Carter is charged with being one of two people who walked into a Wachovia branch at 3400 Spring Forest Road the morning of Feb. 22 and demanded money. The two stuffed the cash into a white mesh laundry bag and fled in a tan Jeep Cherokee with a large dent on the driver's door, police said.

Images of the vehicle were captured on surveillance video from a nearby Home Depot store, according to the search warrant.

Police noted from surveillance photos that one of the robbers wore a jacket with a curved "H" emblem similar to one worn by a man who took part in another robbery at a Wachovia branch in Knightdale on Feb. 2. The Knightdale robbers also used a white mesh laundry bag, according to the warrant.

Meanwhile, Raleigh police learned from Knightdale investigators that a Jeep Cherokee with a dent in the driver's door was involved in an attempted burglary of a home by members of a family who had been evicted from the residence, according to the warrant.

Police learned that Carter, his wife, Sharon, and their two sons had been evicted from their home at 102 Valley Drive in Knightdale about an hour and 15 minutes before the bank robbery on Spring Forest Road, according to the warrant. Using surveillance, police saw a Jeep Cherokee under a tarp at the family's new residence on Haverty Drive, according to the warrant.

Investigators stopped the vehicle Saturday on Maitland Drive. Carter consented to a search of the Jeep, and police found a mask, gloves, a white mesh bag and a black, zippered jacket with a curved "H" emblem.

Police charged Carter with robbery with a dangerous weapon and took him to the Wake County jail where he is being held in lieu of $500,000 bail, a jail spokesman said. More arrests are expected, said Raleigh police spokesman Jim Sughrue.

thomasi.mcdonald@newsobserver. com or (919) 829-4533

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service