Man may have intended to discredit girl, authorities say

Suspect showed sex tape to others

Staff WriterNovember 27, 2008 

— A Cary father accused of raping his son's former girlfriend may have been trying to damage her reputation, according to a restraining order filed in the Wake County Courthouse against him.

Dwayne Antonio Frazier, 42, of 522 Siltstone Place, was arrested Tuesday on felony charges of second-degree rape and sexual exploitation stemming from a teenage girl's report that she was raped by both Frazier and his son in early November. Frazier, a Fort Bragg soldier, could face more than 20 years in prison if convicted.

Frazier denies raping the teen, his attorney said Wednesday.

No charges have been filed against the son, who lives in Virginia and was visiting his father in Cary.

Frazier, a sergeant first class at Fort Bragg, had shown a videotape showing what appeared to be consensual sexual contact between the two teenagers to several people, including Wake County school officials, according to Cary police.

But that may have been part of a campaign to discredit the girl, according to a temporary noncontact order signed by a Wake district court judge Tuesday. Frazier was ordered not to show anyone except police photos or videotapes of the girl for the next year. He also can't go within 100 yards of her.

Frazier has been in the Wake County jail since Tuesday and won't be released unless he posts $400,000 bail.

Attorney Patrick Roberts said after a brief bond hearing Wednesday that Frazier did not have "forced physical contact" with the teen.

But police and a Wake prosecutor say the crime was captured by video camera. A tape shows both the son and father having sexual relations with the girl, Wake assistant district attorney Melanie Shekita said in court.

The girl had gone to Frazier's home to collect some of her belongings, according to the restraining order. That's when she was attacked by the two and videotaped, the order says.

Showing the tape

Frazier showed several people, including a parent of a friend and Wake school officials, part of the video, in what police think was an attempt to show that the two teens had consensual interaction, according to the restraining order and police accounts.

Frazier also told the police that the video would exonerate his son of rape.

But police, who had viewed Frazier as a suspect from the beginning of the investigation, seized unedited footage and his computer last week. They say it has evidence showing the girl was raped by Frazier, according to police documents and Capt. Mike Williams of the Cary Police.

Frazier has no criminal record.

"He had, up to this point, an exemplary life and career," Roberts said.

At Fort Bragg, Frazier worked in food services management, according to Master Sgt. Thomas Clementson of the Army base's public affairs office.

Frazier joined the Army in 1989 and has served since then, except for a four-year break in the 1990s.

Frazier was deployed to Afghanistan last year and returned in April.

His next court date is scheduled for Dec. 17.

sarah.ovaska@newsobserver.com or 919-829-4622

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service