Probe of Durham officers' remarks to be complete soon

Staff WriterDecember 11, 2008 

Durham police are expected to complete an internal investigation by week's end into derogatory remarks police officers allegedly made about President-elect Barack Obama, City Manager Tom Bonfield said Wednesday.

Bonfield said he doesn't know whether the officers will face any charges or sanctions by the department. Bonfield expects the officers' comments, posted on the social networking site MySpace in November, to be made public. Durham Police Chief Jose L. Lopez Sr. has said the comments were not racial but could violate the department's code of conduct.

"We need to know who they are and what they said, because they are public officials," Durham City Councilman Howard Clement III said. "If I had been guilty of those charges, there'd be a public clamor to know what I said and to whom I said it to, and rightly so."

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service