Accused Nazi guard gets a reprieve

The Associated PressApril 4, 2009 

— John Demjanjuk, accused of being a Nazi death camp guard, marked his 89th birthday Friday by winning a reprieve of his ordered deportation to Germany to face possible trial.

Immigration Judge Wayne Iskra put Demjanjuk's deportation on hold until the court can rule on his request to reopen the U.S. case that ordered his removal.

German officials said he had been expected there by Monday.

Demjanjuk, a retired autoworker who lives in the Cleveland suburb of Seven Hills, has said his deportation would amount to torture, given his frail health.

A German arrest warrant issued in March accuses the Ukrainian-born Demjanjuk of 29,000 counts of accessory to murder at the Sobibor camp in occupied Poland during World War II. He denies involvement in any deaths.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service