Teen surrenders in Durham killing

Staff ReportsApril 9, 2009 

A 16-year-old accused in the shooting death of another teen in Durham has turned himself in to authorities in Hidalgo, Texas, Durham police said today.

Carlos Mendoza of Hoover Road and Belmont Street, is one of six people charged with murder and assault in the shooting Feb. 26 of Alejandro Emir Denis-Terron, 17, at 119 Herbert St. Police said Denis-Terron was standing with a group when the shooting took place.

Mendoza surrendered Wednesday to the U.S. Marshals Service, police said. He is being held in a juvenile facility in Texas.

Two other suspects -- Edgar Alfonso Hernandez, 19, and Erick Calderon, 17 -- were arrested previously.

Police are still looking for Jose Martin Luviano, 16 of Ruby Ridge Road and Ivy Street; Ricardo Cruz Perez, 20, of East Lavender Street; and Rodrigo Villegas, 19, of North Hoover Road.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service