British terror fighter quits after blunder

Top official's lax handling of a secret document forces police to launch a roundup of terrorism suspects earlier than planned.

The New York TimesApril 10, 2009 

— Britain's most powerful counterterrorism police officer resigned Thursday, a day after being photographed holding a document marked "SECRET" that outlined details of a major anti-terrorism operation. The resignation is the latest embarrassment for the Metropolitan Police Service, which is also being investigated for its handling of, and possible responsibility for, the death of a passer-by during protests at last week's G20 meetings.

Both cases hinged on photographs and videotape taken by reporters and members of the public and disseminated by the news media and on the Internet.

The resignation of Assistant Commissioner Bob Quick came after he was seen carrying a document titled, "Briefing Note: Operation PATHWAY," while on his way to a Downing Street security briefing. Referring to al-Qaida, the document sketched out a plan to arrest 11 people in northwest England as part of a "a security service-led investigation into suspected AQ-driven attack planning within the U.K."

Because of the disclosure, captured by photographers with telephoto lenses, antiterrorism officers had to carry out the operation many hours earlier than planned, the police said. Hundreds of officers took part in raids around Manchester, Liverpool and Lancashire on Wednesday afternoon. They detained 12 people on suspicion of being part of what Prime Minister Gordon Brown called "a very big terrorist plot" that the security services had been "following for some time."

The British news media reported that the group had been planning attacks this weekend on targets such as a shopping center in downtown Manchester. But Peter Fahy, the chief constable of Greater Manchester Police, told reporters that "there is no particular threat against any particular location."

Ten of the people in custody are Pakistani citizens, and one is British-born, Fahy said. None has been formally charged.

Quick said in a statement: "I deeply regret the disruption caused to colleagues."

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service