News obituaries are published by The News & Observer free of charge. Many people request obituaries. The N&O publishes a limited number of news obituaries on the obituary page and Life Stories in the Triangle & Co. section as space and staffing allow. These articles appear at the discretion of the Metro Desk with no guarantee that an obituary will run. It is advisable to run a paid death notice to guarantee essential information about a loved one's death and funeral is published.
A death notice is a paid posting that announces an individuals passing and information about the individual and the funeral arrangements. The News & Observer and our community newspapers offer print and online death notice packages to provide this service in a respectful and effective manner. Death notices published in The N&O are posted online at newsobserver.com, powered by Legacy.com, for one full year.* The online listing includes the Legacy Guest Book service. Death notices that are published in the community papers will appear online for one year at the community paper Web site.
An In Memoriam is an announcement placed by family members or friends in remembrance of a loved one. An In Memoriam may be used to mark an anniversary of ones passing or his/her birthday. Verses or poems are sometimes included. Photos are welcomed. In Memoriams appear on The News & Observers death notice pages or can be ordered for community papers as individual ads.
Legacy Guest Book
The Legacy Guest Book is a Web-based tool for friends and families to share thoughts and memories.
- It is included with the online posting of the death notice.
- All entries are reviewed for appropriate content before appearing online.
- There is no limit to the number of entries.
- Guest book remains online for one full year.
- Entries may be added from anywhere at any time via the Internet.
- Photos with captions may be uploaded with an entry and/or into the Photo Gallery.
* Full-size notices are posted online for one full year. Smaller notices (such as changes and cancellations) are posted for 30 days. If the online guest book is sponsored, the notice may stay online longer.
The News & Observer - $40 per inch with approximately 8 lines to the inch. $5 per line.
Community Newspapers - $12 per inch with approximately 8 lines to the inch. $1.50 per line.
Photos are included in the line rate and measured at 8 lines to the inch.
The obituary department is available from 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. weekdays and 1:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
The deadline for death notices in The News & Observer is daily at 4:30 p.m. for the next day.
The deadline for community newspapers varies but is typically 5-6 days prior to publication date. Please call for details.
Place your notice online or call (919) 829-4545 or (800) 326-0817.