On the heels of last week's Top 5 on breakout ACC players, this week's offers a look at the top position battles in ACC training camps as Week 1 of the college season rapidly approaches. There's one repeat from last week's list: Virginia Tech tailback Ryan Williams, who features in the debate at this week's No. 1.
5. Duke running back: With Thaddeus Lewis never more comfortable at quarterback, the Blue Devils will no doubt rely on their passing game. But someone has to run the ball. Re'Quan Boyette is trying to come back from a knee injury, Jay Hollingsworth stepped in effectively as a true freshman last season, and true freshman Desmond Scott is trying to make the jump from Durham Hillside to Wallace Wade Stadium.
4. Florida State wide receiver: Injuries and suspensions appeared to decimate this position before semi-miraculous recoveries (Taiwan Easterling from a torn Achilles tendon) and reinstatements (Rod Owens, Richard Goodman, Bert Reed). Now, it's a full-fledged battle for playing time.
3. Miami wide receiver: At the other end of the state, it's a similar situation. Four freshmen saw significant playing time for the Hurricanes at wideout last season, and they're all in the mix again. Jacory Harris may be throwing the ball for certain this season, but who's going to catch it?
2. Virginia quarterback: A three-headed monster is vying for the attention of new offensive coordinator Gregg Brandon, an Urban Meyer disciple whose spread offense is a good fit for ... who? Cornerback-turned-quarterback Vic Hall? Last year's starter, dropback passer Marc Verica? The starter from two years ago, versatile Jameel Sewell?
1. Virginia Tech running back: With the Hokies harboring national title aspirations, the loss of starter Darren Evans for the season looms large. Williams, Garner's Josh Oglesby and true freshman David Wilson are at the top of the list, but all three have fought injuries in training camp.
firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-829-8947