Contractor in Iraq is electrocuted

The Associated PressSeptember 9, 2009 

— A State Department contractor apparently has been electrocuted while showering in Baghdad even as U.S. authorities in Iraq try to remedy wiring problems that have led to the deaths of American troops there.

The contractor, Adam Hermanson, 25, died Sept. 1, his wife, Janine, said Tuesday. She said a military medical examiner told her that preliminary findings indicate her husband died from low-voltage electrocution.

Electrical wiring has been an ongoing problem in Iraq. At least three service members have been electrocuted in the shower since the start of the Iraq War. Others have been electrocuted under circumstances such as while operating a power washer. Inspections and repairs are under way at 90,000 U.S.-maintained structures there.

In July, the Defense Department's inspector general said that of the 18 electrocution deaths of U.S. soldiers and contractors in Iraq, eight involved possible equipment faults or malfunctioning that caused or contributed to the electrocutions.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service