RALEIGH — Emergency workers evacuated hundreds of people Thursday from the Department of Justice building, which houses the Attorney General's office, after reports of a noxious odor.
One person was hospitalized after complaining of a headache and nausea, according to Capitol Police Chief Scott Hunter.
Emergency workers were called to the downtown building on Salisbury Street about 11:20 a.m. and found high levels of carbon monoxide gas. They worked to air out the building, Hunter said.
The carbon monoxide leak could have been caused by nearby construction, Hunter said. The building reopened later in the day.