The Triangle is home to seven general hospitals and several other ancillary facilities. Both Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill operate hospital systems that include specialty hospitals, clinics and physician practices in addition to general facilities. Heres the breakdown.
UNC Health Care includes UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, Rex Healthcare in Raleigh, and numerous doctors practices in and around the Triangle.
101 Manning Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
UNC Hospitals is a public, academic medical center whose mission is to provide patient care, educate health care professionals, advance research and perform community service. It was opened in September 1952 under the name N. C. Memorial Hospital. The University of North Carolina Hospitals structure was created by the General Assembly in 1989. U.S. News & World Report ranked six clinical programs in the top 50 nationally this year
UNC Hospitals are located on Manning Drive. They include:
- N.C. Children's Hospital.
- N.C. Memorial Hospital, a general hospital. The flagship hospital of UNC-CH, it combines patient care with research as part of its academic teaching hospital mission.
- N.C. Neurosciences Hospital, a $43 million facility that opened in 1995, the hospital offers services such as brain-mapping techniques, gene therapy of head-and-neck and psychiatric care. The building also includes UNC Hospitals Emergency Department and the Herbert J. Proctor M.D. Memorial Aeromedical facility for air and ground patient transportation.
- North Carolina Women's Hospital, offers services from general obstetrics to specialty care.
Rex Hospital Main Campus
4420 Lake Boone Trail
Raleigh, NC, 27607
Rex is part of UNC Health Care. Rex Healthcare includes a 665- bed acute care hospital, three wellness centers, two skilled nursing facilities focusing on rehabilitation and long-term nursing care, freestanding outpatient diagnostic, urgent care centers and a surgery center. A mobile fleet including blood, mammography and heart & vascular services also provide access to healthcare throughout Wake County and beyond.
Among its facilties are:
- Rex Healthcare of Wakefield, which offers family practice and urgent care. 14501 New Falls of Neuse Road, Raleigh, NC 27614
- The Rex Healthcare of Cary, providing services western Wake County. It offers diagnostics, surgery, urgent care, pediatrics, wellness and laboratory services. 1505 and 1515 SW Cary Parkway, Cary, NC 27511. (919) 387-3140
- Rex Wellness of Garner, offering wellness services and outpatient rehabilitation. 1400 Timber Drive East at White Oak Crossing (919) 661-6100
Duke University Health System
3100 Tower Blvd. Suite 1008
Durham, NC 27707
The system includes Duke University Hospital and Duke Childrens Hospital on the main campus in Durham, Durham Regional Hospital and Duke Raleigh Hospital, as well as doctor practices and clinics. Duke Hospital was ranked among the nations top 10 hospitals by U.S. News & World Report this year.
- Duke University Hospital, with 924 beds; it provides care as part of a large academic teaching hospital. 2301 Erwin Road, Durham, NC 27710 (919) 684-8111
- Duke Childrens Hospital, affiliated with Duke University, offering specialty pediatric care.
2301 Erwin Road Durham, NC 27710 (919) 668-4000
- Duke Raleigh Hospital, formerly Raleigh Community Hospital, offers general hospital care in North Raleigh. 3400 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609, (919) 954-3000
- Durham Regional Hospital, the Duke-run general hospital owned by Durham County. 3643 Roxboro Road, Durham, NC 27704 (919) 470-4000
3000 New Bern Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27610
The main Raleigh campus is the former county hospital serving Wake County. It has 515 acute beds and an emergency department that treats more than 142,000 patients annually. It includes a state-designated trauma center and a 24-hour freestanding childrens emergency department. The campus also houses a heart center, and Wake Countys only neuro intensive care unit, and a 68- bed rehabilitation hospital.
Among its facilities are:
- WakeMed Brier Creek, serving the Brier Creek area in northwest Raleigh. 10208 Cerny Street, Raleigh, NC 27617 (919) 350-0978
- WakeMed North Healthplex, which includes a 24-hour, full service, freestanding emergency department. WakeMed recently won state approval to convert this location to a full-service hospital with a birth center and 20 inpatient beds. 10000 Falls of Neuse Road, Raleigh, NC 27614, (919) 350-1300
- WakeMed Cary Hospital, a full-service hospital serving Cary. 1900 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary, NC 27518 (919) 350-2300
- WakeMed Clayton Medical Park, 555 Medical Park Place, Clayton, NC 27520, (919) 350-4242
Durham VA Medical Center
508 Fulton Street Durham, NC 27705 (919) 286-0411 or (888) 878-6890
The Durham veterans hospital is a 274-bed facility affiliated with Duke University School of Medicine. Programs include a womens health center, a telemedicine program and geriatric research and education.