Guide: Registering your vehicle

March 10, 2010 

Don't be tempted to keep driving with out-of-state tags. If you move to the Triangle from outside North Carolina, you only have one month to get your car registered here or when you take a job, whichever comes first.

Here are some things you'll need to think about while you're looking for a DMV office:

Can I see some ID?

You need to have a N.C. driver's license. In some cases, DMV will accept a driver's license from another state, but only with some other documentation. Go here to find out what's accepted.

What else do I need?

More paperwork. And what kind depends on whether you have bought the car from an individual, from a dealer, and whether there's a lien on it. To find out the details, go here.

Bring your checkbook

DMV has to pay the light bill. Go here to find out the fees for registering and titling passenger cars and trucks.

Make sure you have insurance

Not that you're an unsafe driver, but you never know what can happen on our roads. The minimum liability insurance for a car is $30,000 for bodily injury for one person; $60,000 bodily injury for two or more people and $25,000 property damage.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service