Recycling is an easy way for all of us to help the environment. We are getting the hang of recycling newspapers, cans and milk jugs, but there are many other things we can recycle. Have you thrown a shampoo bottle in the trash lately? What about printer ink cartridges and CDs? Think ourside the box -- that is, outside of your kitchen! -- and use these links to help you expand your recycling efforts.
Recycling facts for aluminum, plastic, glass, paper and more.
More recycling facts these are organized by category and lists the sources.
What can I recycle?
Learn what is good to recycle and what should not go in your recycling bin.
What are the local quidelines for recycling?
- Raleigh recycling Find out what you can put in your home recycling bin, where recycling drop off centers are located and how to recycle computer equipment.
- Cary recycling Includes list of all the materials that will picked up curbside.
- Durham recycling City of Durhams brochure on recycling. Find out what you should and should not put in the recycle bin, when to place it for pick up and the locations for the 24-hour recycling centers.
- Orange Community recycling programs Information on the various recycling services offered in Orange Co. communities. Also includes a list of the 24-hour recycling centers.
- Chatham County recycling Chatham Co has 12 garbage and recycling centers. See locations and hours of operation.
- Johnston County recycling Location of recycling centers. Guidelines for recycling in Johnston Co.
Where does trash go?
About 57% of our trash goes into a landfill. Check out these sites which give more information about how landfills and trash.
Composting turns your yard and food waste into a nutrient-rich substance that can be used to condition and fertilize soil. Any gardener will sing compost's praises!
- Introduction to composting from How Stuff Works.
- Crash course in composting, from the Town of Cary.
- What you can and can't compost, from the Environmental Protection Agency.
- The science behind composting.
- Need a composting bin to get started? Raleigh sells composting bins at reduced prices to resdents. Most home improvement and gardening stores also sell bins. Or you can purchase one online.