In 1981, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Rep. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.) co-sponsored a joint Congressional resolution proclaiming a national Women's History Week. In 1987, Congress expanded the celebration to a month, and March was declared Women's History Month.
Find profiles of many of the greatest women in history at the following websites.
Biography.Com Includes bios, video clips, quizzes and more
Discovery Education Women of the Century (Especially for teachers)
Resources from The Library of Congress
- Women's History Month
- Women of Protest: The National Woman's Party
- Votes for Women (from the Prints and Photographs Division)
- Pictorial Americana Women's Rights
- Pages from Her Story
- The Learning Page (Resources especially for teachers and students)
Women's History in North Carolina
- Documenting the American South
- North Carolina Museum of History
- Learn NC (from the UNC-CH School of Education)
Women's Labor History