Yates, team punished

The Associated PressJune 10, 2010 

NASCAR has docked Front Row Motorsports owner Doug Yates 150 owner points and suspended three crew members on the No. 38 team for infractions incurred during Sunday's race at Pocono Raceway.

NASCAR fined crew chief Steve Lane $100,000 and suspended Lane, car chief Richard Bourgeois and tire specialist Michael Harrold for the next 12 events. Lane was also placed on probation through the end of the year.

NASCAR cited the No. 38 team for actions detrimental to stock car racing, using nonconforming equipment and modifying the valve stem hardware.

Travis Kvapil was docked 150 driver points after finishing 22nd in the 500-mile event.

Team co-owner Bob Jenkins took responsibility for the "unintentional" mistake and plans to appeal the penalty.

NASCAR fines Braun chiefs: NASCAR on Wednesday suspended the crew chiefs and tire specialists for Braun Racing's two Nationwide Series entries for actions during Saturday's race at Nashville Speedway in Tennessee.

Stuart Cooper, crew chief for the No. 10 car driven by Tayler Malsam, and Trip Bruce, crew chief for the No. 38 car driven by Jason Leffler, were suspended for the next two events and fined $25,000.

Tire specialists Sean Whisenhunt and Kevin Bellicourt were also suspended for two events. All four were placed on probation through the end of the year. Leffler and Malsam were penalized 25 driver points; Todd and Ralph Braun were docked 25 owners points.

NASCAR said tires allocated to Leffler were used by Malsam during Saturday's race at Nashville Superspeedway. Teams are given a certain number of sets of tires, and an organization cannot transfer tires without NASCAR approval.

NASCAR said the Braun teams also changed identification numbers on tires.

Ferrari recruits 11-year-old: Ferrari has accepted the youngest recruit to its Ferrari Driving Academy at Maranello, Italy. Lance Stroll, 11, of Montreal, has twice won the Canadian national championship in the Rotax Mini Max category.

F1 returns to North America: After a one year hiatus, the Formula One is back on track at the quirky, 2.71-mile Circuit Gilles Villeneuve road course in Montreal this weekend.

Late last year, the Canadian Grand Prix was revived through 2014 with about $70 million in public money.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service