The moral of this story: Don't believe everything you read on Facebook.
Late Monday night, a post on the Cherry Bomb Grill's Facebook page announced the downtown Raleigh restaurant's pending closure.
It read, in part, "So, after a brave effort in this awful economy, we gave it our best shot. But, regretfully, Cherry Bomb Grill Raleigh will be closing at the end of the month."
As official as that seems, general manager and executive chef Scott Schabot says it's not true.
His explanation: a former employee with administrator privileges for the Facebook page made the post.
Cherry Bomb Grill, he said, will be closing for a few days at the end of the month and undergoing some changes, including a new name.
"We've just decided to go in a different direction to open ourselves up to different demographics," Schabot said.
Schabot had been up since 7 a.m. Tuesday trying to set the record straight. His efforts were made considerably more difficult by the fact that he does not have the access to make changes to the page or delete the post.
The restaurant, which is known for its vast selection of beers and a female wait staff dubbed "the Bombshells," has only been open seven months at Martin and Dawson streets.
It took the space that was occupied for decades by downtown Raleigh favorite Joe's Place, which closed in January 2009.
When Cherry Bomb Grill reopens under its new and yet-to-be disclosed name, it will still focus on local beers and local food, Schabot said.
email@example.com or 919-829-4649