Amaker rejects Miami

Former Duke guard says he's staying at Harvard

Miami HeraldApril 13, 2011 

Tommy Amaker turned down overtures from Miami and will remain the men's basketball coach at Harvard.

Miami officials flew to Boston on Monday to try and persuade Amaker and his wife, Stephanie, a professor in the Harvard medical school, to move to Miami. They offered a five-year package believed to average $1.1 million per year.

Amaker said he was "flattered" but decided to stay with the Crimson, which won its first Ivy League title this season with 23 victories. His team almost made the NCAA tournament, but Princeton hit a buzzer-beater in the playoff.

So, having lost out on the former Duke guard and assistant coach, Miami - under the direction of new athletic director Shawn Eichorst - will move on to other candidates. Eichorst, an associate AD at Wisconsin, was hired on Tuesday and is expected to take over the search for Frank Haith's replacement. Potential candidates include Mike Davis (Alabama-Birmingham), Tony Barbee (Auburn), Donnie Jones (UCF), Billy Kennedy (Murray State) and Rob Jeter (Wisconsin-Milwaukee).

UNC will play on carrier: The San Diego Sports Commission on Tuesday night confirmed that Michigan State and North Carolina will play in the Carrier Classic on Veterans Day, the first NCAA basketball game to be played aboard an aircraft carrier.

The commission said it has received written commitments from the schools and that approval from the U.S. Navy is expected soon.

Organizers haven't announced which aircraft carrier will host the Nov. 11 game.

NBA decisions: Kemba Walker said Connecticut's decision to put his name and number on the wall of its arena helped him decide it was time to head to the NBA.

"I think from that point out it did, because it was like Coach just kicked me out," the junior All-American said. "It says 2008 to 2011 [on the banner], so it was like he's [saying], 'Let's get him out of here.'"

The 6-foot-1 guard said Tuesday he will leave the national champion Huskies and enter the June 23 draft. He said he has not hired an agent but has been talking to them.

Players must declare their intentions by April 24 and have until May 8 to withdraw if they do not hire an agent.

Butler junior shooting guard Shelvin Mack said he is declaring to enter the draft but has not hired an agent.

UCLA junior guard Malcolm Lee is leaving school to enter the draft, and he plans to hire an agent.

Georgia guard Travis Leslie said he will remain in the draft after declaring last week.

Associated Press

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service