$21,329 raised for tornado victims

Staff WriterJune 7, 2011 

  • In a separate fundraising effort, N.C. Symphony audience members donated more than $9,500 to American Red Cross disaster relief during the orchestra's five concerts across the state last week.

    Red Cross volunteers collected the donations at free concerts in Tarboro, Chapel Hill, Jacksonville and New Bern and during the symphony's Summerfest Series concert in Cary, which ran Tuesday through Sunday.

  • Raleigh Television Network's Government Channel 11 will rebroadcast the June 3 "Rise Up Raleigh" concert at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. Donations can be made through Thursday at unitedwaytriangle .org /tornado .

— A weekend benefit concert raised $21,329 for victims of the April 16 tornadoes, organizers said Monday.

Corporate sponsors pledged an additional $25,000, but proceeds from "Rise Up Raleigh" fell well short of the $100,000 goal.

City Councilwoman Mary-Ann Baldwin, who hatched plans for the concert, said Monday that she was "really disappointed" by the fundraising totals. Baldwin said she'll try to raise another $25,000 in corporate donations, and ask the City Council to devote $5,000 or so from a contingency fund.

"We probably could've raised more money if we sold tickets," Baldwin said. "But we wanted it to feel like anybody was welcome, and you could donate what you felt you could."

Donations can be made through Thursday.

Local rockers The Connells headlined the city-organized Friday concert, which featured a dozen bands as well as street performers surrounding the Raleigh Amphitheater.

Baldwin said she heard feedback that many people would have preferred the concert to be held Saturday, but The Connells couldn't make it. Bands played at no charge, and corporate sponsors covered event costs, organizers said, allowing all proceeds to go to four charities aiding tornado victims.

Centro International de Raleigh will support rebuilding efforts at Stony Brook mobile home park, where four children were killed and about half of the 180 homes suffered damage.

Inter-Faith Food Shuttle will deliver boxes of food, coordinate with food pantries and shelters, and provide free mobile markets.

Helping Hand Mission will deliver food and provide clothing, toiletries and cleaning supplies. The mission will also pick up furniture and help set-up beds for children.

The Salvation Army will help families with temporary housing, rent, furniture and appliances, and gas.

A total of 138 Raleigh homes were destroyed in the storms and nearly 700 homes sustained major damage. The Capital City suffered more than $115 million in residential and commercial structural damage.

matt.garfield@newsobserver.com or 919-836-4952

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service