Lightning strike ignites fire at Raleigh inn

Staff ReportsJune 20, 2011 

A lightning strike set a three-story bed and breakfast in midtown Raleigh ablaze early Monday morning.

A fire was reported on the roof of Cameron Park Inn at 211 Groveland Ave. at 1:43 a.m., said Garry Spain, division chief of Raleigh Fire Department.

The fire, sparked by lightning, burned the attic of the inn.

"It was a lot of fire," Spain said. Two guests were found safe outside the inn.

Firefighters had the fire under control at 3:16 a.m., Spain said.

The fire department dispatched seven fire engines, two ladder trucks, and two rescue trucks.

No injuries were reported.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service