U.S. Rep. Sue Myrick canceled all of her appearances at 9/11 anniversary events Sunday, saying her name had turned up in a threatening Iranian state newspaper article.
"It's very hard for me to stay home (Sunday) because I have worked very hard on these (homeland security) issues from the beginning," the nine-term congresswoman told The Charlotte Observer. "But I didn't want to put anybody else in jeopardy in case some nut out there decided to do something."
Myrick, a House Intelligence Committee member who has been outspoken about the threat of radical Islamists, said intelligence sources told her that her name was on a state-sanctioned list published last week in Iran.
"It named some individuals they don't like ... people they said were working against (them)," said Myrick, who added that the list also included "a couple of others," including other members of Congress, "who work on the (terrorism) issue." She said she didn't want to identify them.
She said the decision to cancel was hers, "after talking to people whose opinion I respect."
Living 'with threats'
The article implicitly encouraged readers to harm those on the list, she said. And after the January shooting of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., and multiple bystanders, "I was very uncomfortable" at the prospect of possibly endangering others, Myrick said.
She'd been scheduled to appear at 9/11 anniversary events in Gaston and Stanly counties as well as at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and at First Baptist Church in uptown Charlotte.
"I live with threats every day; that's my life," said Myrick, who said she even wore a bulletproof vest during her time as Charlotte mayor.