Man who exchanged gunfire with newspaper carrier arrested

Staff writerJanuary 6, 2012 

— Federal officers on Thursday arrested a 23-year-old man accused of exchanging gunfire with a news carrier during an attempted car jacking late last year.

Members of the U.S. Marshals Services Violent Fugitive Task Force arrested Marcus Anthony Keith of Wabash Street on Meriwether Drive, the Durham Police Department announced in a Thursday press release.

Police have charged Keith with robbery with a dangerous weapon, larceny of vehicle, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, false report to police (he told officers he was shot in McDougald Terrace), misdemeanor probation violation and second-degree trespass, Kammie Michael, a Durham police spokeswoman reported.

On Nov. 22 just before 4:30 a.m., police were alerted about an armed robbery in the 3500 block of North Roxboro Road.

The victim told the officers he was delivering Durham Herald-Sun newspapers when a man approached and robbed him of his 2008 Chevrolet pickup truck at gunpoint.

The suspect fired a shot at the victim and the victim returned the gunfire. The news carrier was not injured, police reported.

Police investigators found the pickup truck hours later, just before 8:30 a.m. in the 100 block of West Edgewood Drive.

The federal task force on Thursday transported Keith to the Durham County Jail.

He is being held under a $3,001,000 bond, Michael reported.

tmcdonald@newsobserver.com

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service