Whats better than a summer cookout? A cookout with a really good barbecue sauce. Enter your barbecue sauce recipe in The Great N.C. Barbecue Sauce Contest, sponsored by The News & Observer and the Charlotte Observer.
$100 and bragging rights.
1. You must be a resident of North or South Carolina. Makers of commercially sold sauces are not eligible.
2. Recipes must be for finishing sauces, such as dipping sauces and glazes. Marinades, dry rubs and mops are not eligible.
3. Recipes must include standard measurements for ingredients (cups, teaspoons, tablespoons and ounces), complete instructions and yield. Each recipe must include a brief description of the sauce and what it should be used on (such as pork ribs, chicken, fish or seafood, vegetables or beef).
4. Sauce recipes can include commercial ingredients. If the recipe is based on a commercial sauce, such as a doctored sauce, you must specify the brand and make at least five additions to it. Sauces may not include more than 12 ingredients, not counting salt and pepper.
5. Food editors will select 10 finalist recipes from readers submissions, and well put those 10 up for a vote. The top three will be tested by the food editors, who will choose the winner.
Go to nando.com/saucecontest
Recipes must be entered by 5 p.m. Friday.
Note: You must register for the contest to be able to see where to submit a recipe. Voting will take place May 3-9, and the winner will be announced May 23, in time to kick off the summer grilling season.