About 17,000 in N.C. will lose jobless benefits on May 12

dbracken@newsobserver.com April 25, 2012 

About 17,000 longtime unemployed people will lose their unemployment benefits on May 12, the state Division of Employment Security announced Wednesday.

The agency had warned Tuesday that North Carolina was likely to no longer qualify for the federal extended benefits program because of declines in the state unemployment rate. DES had estimated that about 18,000 people would be affected on Tuesday.

The official notice from the U.S. Department of Labor came Wednesday. The department said the last week of payable benefits would be the week ending May 12.

Those losing benefits make up about 9 percent of the roughly 199,000 North Carolinians who are currently receiving unemployment benefits. The agency said it would inform those receiving benefits from the program by mail.

Eligibility for the extended benefits program is determined by a formula based in part on a state’s unemployment rate. North Carolina’s rate fell to 9.7 in March, the lowest it has been in three years.

Staff writer David Bracken

Bracken: 919-829-4548

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service