Out of more than 170 entrants and 36 semi-finalists, only 15 finalists remain in the Belk Southern Designer Showcase competition and two hail from the Triangle.
Perhaps as you read this, Emily Newnam and Jazsalyn McNeil, both of Raleigh, are at Belk headquarters in Charlotte for the final event of the competition. The winner will have her collection carried in Belk stores.
Newnam, a Meredith College graduate originally from Beaufort, started her laid-back sundress line, Southern Frock, in 2010. The collection, inspired by coastal style, is available in a variety of local boutiques (Uniquities, Clothes Hound, etc.) and at southernfrock.com.
McNeil is a student at N.C. State majoring in fashion and textile management. She took first-place honors at N.C. States first Fashion Week, held in April. Her collection, Frontier, features colorful dresses inspired by nature.
The winner of the competition will be announced in the coming weeks.
A birthday bash
Turning 40 is a big deal, and one of the Triangles best-known shopping destinations is celebrating its 40th in a big way Thursday. Crabtree Valley Mall is celebrating from 6-9 p.m. The nights entertainment includes a fashion show featuring clothing from bevello, Belk, Francescas Collection, Banana Republic and more, plus a concert by the band SMILE. Attendees can register to win a variety of prizes, including diamond earrings, a $500 Belk gift card and a 55-inch LED television from Sears. Kanki, P.F. Changs China Bistro, The Cheesecake Factory, Flemings Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar and others will provide refreshments. Admission to the party, held in the malls promotional court, is free. For more information, visit crabtree-valley-mall.com.
No tax and on sale
Local retailers are celebrating North Carolinas state sales tax-free weekend (Friday through Sunday) with big sales. Heres a sampling:
• Galatea Boutique offers big savings with a summer progressive sale. It starts now with sale items at 50 percent off, increasing to 60 percent Friday and Saturday and 75 percent 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Galatea is at 10 W. Franklin St., Raleigh, 919-833-8565, galateaboutique.com.
• In Carys Arboretum at Weston shopping center, Kristens Shoe Boutique, Kristens Place and J. Alanes Fine Lingerie will host a sidewalk sale now through Saturday. Each store will have deeply discounted merchandise on sidewalk racks as well as sales inside. The Arboretum at Weston is at 2058 Renaissance Park Place, Cary, thearboretumatweston.com.
• Dress for Success Triangles semi-annual Excess Sale will be 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday at Northgate Mall in Durham. The sale, which features new and gently used career wear and accessories collected by the charity, boasts such deals as $10 suits, pants and skirts for $4 or less, shoes and handbags for $3 and jewelry for $2. Proceeds from the sale benefit the nonprofit, which distributes business clothing to needy women on the job search. The sale will be at Entrance Two at the mall, across from Blue Diamond Spa. For more information, call 919-286-2128 or visit dressforsuccess.org/trianglenc.
This week in the trunk...
Lafayette 148 New York brings its fall collection to Cameron Clothing in North Hills for a trunk show through Saturday. A representative will bring the latest classic and professional looks in colorful knits, leather and more for women. Cameron Clothing is at 4351-111 The Circle at North Hills, Raleigh, 919-420-0411, cameronclothing.com.
Want to look like a model?
Until she fell ill, model/actress Christie Brinkley was in town to perform in Chicago, so we took the opportunity to ask her for some secrets on looking great, no matter your age. Here are her suggestions:
• If you want a fun way to get fit, dance. Join a Zumba class, a real dance class or just get up and dance around the house.
• Add your arms to every workout. Even if you are just jogging, get your arms moving all the way through your fingertips and your heart rate will go up immensely.
• I have been a vegetarian and eaten organic since I was a teenager, and I really think its the healthiest diet. It has been so good for my hair, skin and vision.
Staff writer Betsy Church contributed to this report.
Send Stylin tips and news to firstname.lastname@example.org