RALEIGH — Police have charged a 20-year-old man with helping to dispose of a gun used to shoot a teenager to death in North Raleigh two weeks ago.
Max Eduardo Del Valle of 38211 Knickerbocker Parkway in Raleigh has been charged with one felony count of accessory after the fact of murder, according to an arrest warrant filed at the Wake County Clerk of Courts Office.
Investigators have accused Del Valle of helping two teen brothers dispose of a firearm used in the shooting death of Fernando Garibay-Benitez on Aug. 15 in the 3800 block of Rolling Green Court, near the entrance of an apartment complex off New Hope Road.
Police filed a juvenile petition against the teens, ages 13 and 15, the day after the shooting. Their names have not been released because of their age.
Del Valle was charged Aug. 22, while he was in the Wake County jail. He had been in jail since Aug. 17 when police charged him with two felony counts of possession of a stolen firearm, one count of breaking and entering and two counts of larceny after breaking and entering, a jail spokesman said Friday.
Garibay-Benitez had been a student at Millbrook High School and lived at a mobile home community off Buffaloe Road, about three miles from where he died. Residents there said he often played soccer at a field behind the apartments.
The boys who are charged with his death are being held at a juvenile detention center. They lived with their mother in the Homestead Village mobile home community off Capital Boulevard north of Interstate 540, more than five miles from where the shooting occurred, court records show
Witnesses told police that the 13 and 15 year olds used a small-caliber rifle or other long-barreled gun and fired from a gray Ford minivan at Garibay-Benitez. The teen apparently died from a single gunshot wound to the head.
Investigators have not disclosed a possible motive for the shooting or said if the three teens knew one another.
Soon after the shooting, police think the younger boys told Del Valle what had happened and that he helped them get rid of the gun, according to Del Valle’s arrest warrant.
Police had already accused Del Valle of breaking into a mobile home in the Homestead Village community nine days before the shooting and stealing a Ruger .22-caliber rifle, court records show. He has also been accused of being in possession of two more stolen firearms; a Marlin .22-caliber rifle and a Nitro Hunter single-barrel .12-gauge shotgun, court records show.
Raleigh police spokesman Jim Sughrue declined to comment Friday when asked if investigators think one of the stolen firearms was used in the shooting death of Garibay-Benitez.
Del Valle remains in the Wake County jail, where his bail has been set at $840,000, a jail spokesman said.
He is scheduled to next appear in court on Sept. 6, court records show.