Woman shot and killed at Raleigh’s Cameron Village

Man shoots self, but police won’t say if it was related 

tmcdonald@newsobserver.comSeptember 11, 2012 

— A woman was shot and killed in the parking lot of the Cameron Village shopping center as she arrived for work Monday morning, setting off a manhunt that was still going on more than four hours later when a man shot himself in the head in a parking lot behind a business on Wade Avenue less than a mile away.

Police would not say that the two shootings are related, but the man was wearing clothes matching a description given by police after the first shooting. Police said they were looking for a man in his early 40s who was wearing khaki trousers and a dark shirt. They said he stood about 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighed about 220 pounds.

Police did not release the man’s name but did provide a photograph of him.

The woman’s name also has not been released, but police said she worked at Pier 1 Imports on Daniels Street in Cameron Village. A co-worker called 911 to report the shooting, telling the emergency dispatcher that a man got into the woman’s car as she arrived for work.

“She said she would be just a minute,” the co-worker told the dispatcher on a recording of the call released Monday evening. “I thought I heard loud banging on the door. But I think it was gunshots.”

The sobbing 911 caller told the dispatcher that when she went outside to check on her co-worker, she was on the ground, with her eyes open, and that there was “tons of blood.”

“She looks like she’s dead,” the caller cried.

Workers towed away a white Toyota Tercel with Alabama license plates and a white Nissan Versa after police collected evidence from the parking lot where the shooting occurred.

The first shooting took place around 9:30 a.m. Workers at the Tin Roof Teas shop, across from the Pier 1 Imports, saw a man and woman in the parking lot and said the man appeared to be angry, waving his arms, said the shop’s owner, Ryan Hinson. The workers went inside and heard six bangs, which they thought were firecrackers, Hinson said.

No security cameras

Cameron Village was Raleigh’s first suburban shopping center when it opened in 1949. The center has its own security patrol, but no surveillance cameras that might have recorded Monday’s shooting, said Smedes York of York Properties, which manages the center. York’s family built the center, and he said he couldn’t remember anything like this happening there before.

Police closed off a section of Daniels Street in Cameron Village, between Clark Avenue and Cameron Street, where the shooting took place and interviewed people in stores along the street. They brought in a canine unit to try to track the man, who fled on foot, headed east, toward Woodburn Road.

Two officers came in to Ivy & Leo women’s clothing store and searched the dressing rooms and storage area, said employee Taylor Moore. She said police told her they were not taking any chances that the man was hiding somewhere in Cameron Village.

Nearby schools, including Broughton High School, were placed on lockdown as a precaution. Raleigh police officers were visible in the areas around the schools near Cameron Village on Monday afternoon as students were released for the day, but there were no indications of any links between the shooting and schools, said spokesman Jim Sughrue.

Visitors of the Cameron Village Library were also asked to remain inside and no one was allowed inside while police searched the area.

Reports of sightings of men who generally matched the description of the man police were seeking kept Raleigh police busy in the hours after the shooting. Several cars, including a K-9 unit, swept into the parking lot of an Arby’s restaurant on Hillsborough Street near Gorman Street, and police questioned two men. The men were released shortly afterward and police left.

The second shooting occurred just after 1:45 p.m., said Deputy Chief Cassandra Deck-Brown. A man who reported the shooting said he heard a single gunshot. “I can see him,” the caller says on a recording of the 911 call. “He is dead.”

Police found the man behind the offices of SEPI Engineering and Construction Inc. lying on his back with a gunshot wound to the right temple. He matched the physical description given by police and was wearing a dark-blue shirt and khaki trousers.

News researcher Peggy Neal and Staff Writer Amanda James contributed to this report.

McDonald: 919-829-4533

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service