Johnston residents evacuated after spill releases fumes

From staff reportsOctober 11, 2012 

— Emergency workers evacuated between 20 and 25 people to hospitals after a drain cleaner spilled at the Carolina House senior-care center Wednesday night, officials said.

No serious injuries were reported, but workers took the residents to be checked as a precaution after they reported respiratory problems.

Firefighters said the cleaner was washed away and most of those transported were returned to Carolina House.

Carolina House of Smithfield, operated by Brookdale Senior Living, is a care center for seniors who need physical assistance or are suffering from Alzheimer’s or dementia.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service