Five local students have been awarded Progress Energy Carolinas Merit Award scholarships.
The scholarships, available to children of Progress employees, are worth $1,500 per year and are awarded based on academic achievements, leadership, potential to succeed, work experience and school and community activities.
This year’s scholarships went to the following students, recent graduates of the schools listed:
• Christopher Donaldson, Cornerstone Academy, the son of Bob and Sherry Donaldson.
• John “Michael” Gray, Wakefield High School in Raleigh, the son of John and Penny Gray.
• Sharidan Hill, Wake Christian Academy, the daughter of Tim and Sharon Hill.
• Shreya Shah, Cary High School, the daughter of Ashish and Deepa Shah.
• Matthew Wyckoff, The Ravenscroft School in Raleigh, the son of Brad and Sandy Wyckoff.