CHAPEL HILL — North Carolina announced several changes to its future football schedules on Tuesday. The Tar Heels previously scheduled home-and-home series against Minnesota will no longer be played.
In addition, UNC announced that its game next season against East Carolina will be played at Kenan Stadium instead of in Greenville, as had been scheduled. The Tar Heels will play ECU on the road in 2014 and in either 2016 or 2018.
Because of the change of plans with Minnesota, UNC has filled one opening on its 2013 schedule with Old Dominion, which will visit Kenan Stadium on Oct. 12, 2013. Minnesota has agreed to pay UNC a buyout fee of $800,000.
Were disappointed we will not have the opportunity to play Minnesota, Bubba Cunningham, the UNC athletics director, said in a statement. Recently, Minnesota expressed an interest in cancelling the series and we agreed to do so based on the terms of the contract.
North Carolina will begin the 2013 season at South Carolina on Aug. 29, a Thursday night. ESPN will broadcast the game nationally. The Tar Heels still have one remaining opening on their 2013 schedule.
Were excited about the opportunity to open next season against South Carolina on ESPN, Cunningham said. The recent expansion of the ACC to include Notre Dame and the decision to stay at eight conference games allows for greater flexibility in scheduling home-and-home series.