Teen told Apex police that friend bought LSD online

Student sold 100s of online drug before OD

tmcdonald@newsobserver.comOctober 24, 2012 

— A 17-year-old Apex High School student told police that he and another student had sold hundreds of “hits” of the drug LSD to Triangle high school students over several months before one of those students died of an apparent overdose.

Timothy Castaneda, 17, died Oct. 13, seven days after taking LSD at a party in a wooded area behind Beaver Creek Cinemas at the Beaver Creek Shopping Center in Apex.

Apex police charged fellow student Ryan Laches, 17, with two counts of selling LSD to Castaneda. Laches told police that he got the LSD from a Cary high school student who purchased the drugs online, according to a search warrant made public Tuesday.

The warrant indicated that someone had called police to say the drug was manufactured at a high school student’s homemade chemistry lab. The caller’s identity is not revealed in the warrant.

Apex police have not made any additional arrests in the case, but continue to investigate, Apex police Capt. Ann Stephens said Tuesday.

Soon after his arrest, Laches admitted to police that he sold two hits of LSD to Castaneda on Oct. 3 at Apex High School, according to the warrant. Laches also told police he sold LSD to four other people the night of the party and gave away at least seven other hits of the drug.

Laches told investigators that he was working with an 18-year-old friend who attends Panther Creek High School in Cary. He told police that his friend would order the LSD online and have the purchases sent to a box at the Apex Post Office on West Williams Street, according to the warrant.

Laches said he did not know from whom or where his friend purchased the LSD, which came in packages ranging from several hundred to 2,000 hits, according to the warrant.

Laches told police that he and his partner would sell the drug for $5 to $10 a hit to fellow students in Apex, Cary and Raleigh, according to the warrant.

Castaneda was with three other teenage boys when police arrived behind the Beaver Creek Cinemas at 1:45 a.m. on Oct. 6. All three independently said Laches had supplied the LSD, according to a search warrant made public earlier this month. The other teens told police that Castaneda had taken two “hits” of LSD about 11 p.m. and soon began “freaking out,” according to that warrant.

The teens said Castaneda’s behavior continued until he collapsed shortly before they called 911 nearly three hours later.

The state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Chapel Hill has not said how Castaneda died.

“It’s still undetermined at this time,” spokeswoman Sharon Artis said Tuesday.

Gary Sauls said in his 30 years working with patients who are drug users that he has never seen anyone die from LSD. Sauls, who works with people ages 13 to 24 at the Duke Center for Adolescent Substance Use Treatment, thinks other factors may have contributed to Castaneda’s death.

Police searched the second teen’s home Friday and seized cellphones, three post office box keys, flash drives, a desktop and laptop computer, court records show.

McDonald: 919-829-4533

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service