Raleigh startup Deja Mi finds a new home

dbracken@newsobserver.comOctober 31, 2012 

— That didn’t take long.

Deja Mi, the Raleigh startup that was informed by the city on Tuesday that it had to stop operating out of a North Raleigh home has already found new offices.

CEO Justin Miller said that a News & Observer article describing the company’s plight blew up on social media and resulted in him being inundated with helpful offers.

“I had a ton of other startups, other companies in the area reaching out to me directly saying let’s see if we can get you into our space with us or let me see if I can hook you up with somebody for some space,” he said. “The community outreach, especially involving the tech community, was awesome. I haven’t seen that to date, especially in Raleigh.”

The company ultimately decided to relocate to HUB Raleigh, a new co-working space for entrepreneurs on Hillsborough Street.

An anonymous caller complained about the company operating out of Miller’s basement to an administrative assistant in Mayor Nancy McFarlane’s office. The assistant sent an email to the city’s zoning enforcement division last week, and an inspector informed Miller on Tuesday that he had 30 days to find another office for Deja Mi or he would be cited for illegally operating a business in a residential neighborhood.

HUB Raleigh is holding its grand opening Thursday night. Deja Mi, which has 13 employees, will be the largest company in the space.

“I thought it would be a great fit, as did they,” Miller said.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service