Waxhaw Cuthbertson 4, Carborro 1

Waxhaw Cuthbertson tops Carrboro for first 2A boys' state title

ewarnock@newsobserver.com November 18, 2012 

— It may go down as a draw in the battle of the sexes, but Waxhaw Cuthbertson’s 4-1 win in Saturday’s N.C. High School Athletic Association 2A state championship final was a huge victory for male pride.

Cavalier Thomas Vigdor scored twice and Michael Proctor and Obi Collins each had one apiece to help Cuthbertson (23-3-2) win its first NCHSAA 2A boy’s soccer title. The victory matched the 2011 girls’ title won by Cuthbertson with a 1-0 decision against Carrboro.

“The girls have always been a little ahead of us in the soccer program,” said Vigdor, holding his Most Valuable Player award. “That and knowing we were losing (8) seniors was a motivating factor for us.

“We always lost in the third round. It was like some curse. But now we’re right with them as champions.”

Carrboro (18-7-3) had been motivated by losing 2-1 to Salisbury in the 2011 boys final.

“I could use every cliché in the book – that soccer is a cruel game,” Carrboro coach Mark Kadlecik said. “We did a lot of good things tonight, but giving up a goal early really set us back.”

Carrboro had a 20-8 advantage in shots, with nine on-goal to Cuthbertson’s 6, but it was finishing that counted, Cuthbertson coach Nelson Garner noted.

“Carrboro had the better part of play for most of the game,” Garner said. “But soccer is a game where you have to take advantage of your chances, and our guys certainly did a splendid job of finishing their chances.”

Cuthbertson struck on its second trip into Carrboro’s penalty area after forcing a corner kick. Sophomore defender Travis Whitt served the ball from the corner into a clump of players in the six-yard box, from where a leaping Michael Proctor headed it in for a 1-0 Cavalier lead just 4:24 into the match.

Carrboro controlled possession most of the remaining 35 minutes before the break outshot the Cavaliers 12-2 in the game’s first half, with four shots on-goal to Cuthbertson’s one.

Carrboro had four looks at the goal in the first 10 minutes of the second half, including a solid shot from inside the arc in the 47th minute by Thar Thwai that Cavalier goalkeeper Jack Sosinski bobbled before smothering.

In the 50th minute, Mike McPeak got a head on a corner kick from Luke Hickey, but Sosinski saved it cleanly.

Carrboro’s pressure finally paid off in the 59th minute, when defender Alex Callaham collected a ball far out on the right wing and fired it from 27 yards out inside the far post for the equalizer with 21:22 left in regulation.

The Jaguars missed a clear chance for a go-ahead goal in the 63rd minute when Thwai slid a ball just beyond the foot of a wide-open Marc Rovner.

Cuthbertson found the game-winner with 15:02 left to play. David Moll centered a ball to Jason Drain, whose shot ended up on the foot of Vigdor; he slammed it in for a 2-1 lead.

Senior forward Obi Collins supplied an insurance goal off an assist by Evan Martinez with 5:09 left to play and Vigdor the coup de grace with 2:52 remaining as Cuthbertson sealed its 12th straight win.

Warnock: 919-932-8743

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service