RALEIGH — Police continue to search for three people thought to be involved in the shooting death of a 42-year-old father of five children late last month.
Alfonso Canjay Rincon, a self-employed landscaper, was shot around 1 a.m. Oct. 31 at the Foxhall Village mobile home park on Foxhall Village Road. Neighbors say Rincon was shot when he pursued two men who appeared to be attempting to break into a neighbors car.
Police have not identified the three suspects, but on Tuesday they released a sequence of events that led up to the shooting.
Investigators think Rincon was awakened when he heard a noise outside his home at 6100 Dogtrott Court. When he looked outside, he saw two men around the neighbors car.
As he watched, the men crossed the street and went behind his home, where they began to peer into one of his vehicles.
The men fled when Rincon opened the door of his home. Rincon told his family to call 911, then left in pursuit of the two men.
While Rincon was gone, a witness told police that the two men returned in a dark-colored sedan driven by a third man.
The sedan traveled toward the office area of the complex about a block away, and a gunshot was heard shortly afterward. Police found Rincon near the mobile home parks office, where he died.
Witnesses told police all three men appeared to be Hispanic. The two men on foot appeared to be in their 20s or early 30s, stand about 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall, and both wore gray-and-blue hooded Nike sweatshirts. Witnesses say one man had short dark hair with a thin mustache, while the other was bald and wore a black or blue bandanna.
The driver, who remained in the sedan, was bald and was wearing a black or blue bandanna.
Police urge anyone with information to call Raleigh Crime Stoppers at 919-834-4357 or to go to the Crime Stoppers website at www.raleighcrimestoppers.org for instructions on reporting a tip online or by text message.