Fire displaces Chapel Hill family

From staff reportsNovember 26, 2012 

— A family of four was displaced Sunday when a fire from an aging fireplace spread through the attic.

The Chapel Hill Fire Department responded to the fire at 411 Long Leaf Drive at about 7:20 p.m. The fire appeared to have come from a chimney fire and a fireplace that was being used for heat.

Fire crews found heavy flames coming from the rear of the home around the fireplace and chimney.

Five fire companies and two support vehicles from Chapel Hill Fire Department and Orange County EMS quickly brought the blaze under control. There were no reported injuries.

The house is owned by James and Laura Baxley, according to county land records. Neighbors and community members sheltered the family overnight, fire officials said.

Damage to the home, which has a tax value of $312,000, is estimated at $60,000, fire officials said.

Fire officials urge residents to have their fireplaces and chimneys inspected by a professional before each heating season to make sure they are safe and in proper working order.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service