Fire blamed on smoking in bed injures one person in Raleigh

From staff reportsNovember 27, 2012 

— A man who was severely burned in a house fire in North Raleigh on Monday night was later airlifted to the N.C. Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill.

Fire officials had not released the name of the man, who remained in critical condition late Tuesday.

The fire started because the man was smoking in bed in a first-floor room he rented in a two-story home at 4121 Cobble Court, near New Hope Church Road, said Raleigh fire Capt. Tim Wilson. The man was unconscious and trapped in the room when firefighters arrived about 8:30 p.m., Wilson said.

After firefighters pulled the man to safety, paramedics rushed him to the hospital with burns and smoke inhalation. He and two other people were displaced by the fire, which damaged about 25 percent of the home, according to the fire department.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service