Under the Dome

Dome: Rep. Dollar gets top spot on appropriations committee

Staff writersDecember 17, 2012 

Nelson Dollar

MLEWIS

State Rep. Nelson Dollar of Cary is moving into Rep. Harold Brubaker’s position as senior chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, House Speaker Thom Tillis announced Monday.

Brubaker retired earlier this year to become a lobbyist.

The other House Appropriation chairs will be Mitch Gillespie of McDowell, Linda Johnson of Cabarrus, Bryan Holloway of Stokes and Justin Burr of Stanly counties.

The House Finance Committee will once again be led by Rep. Julia Howard of Davie as senior chair. Other finance chairs are Mitchell Setzer of Catawba, David Lewis of Catawba, and Robert Brawley of Iredell.

Rep. Tim Moore of Cleveland will once again be House rules chairman.

“The leaders of the major House committees will work hard to protect the interests of their constituents and all North Carolinians,” Tillis said.

Senate appointments

Sens. Thom Goolsby of New Hanover and E.S. “Buck” Newton of Wilson were named chairmen of the Senate Judiciary Committee Monday.

They replace Sen. Peter Brunstetter, who chaired the committee during the past session.

Senate leader Phil Berger also re-appointed Sens. Austin Allran of Catawba and Warren Daniel of the Senate Judiciary II Committee.

He also plans to appoint Goolsby, Newton and Sen. Stan Bingham to the Senate Appropriations Committee on Justice and Public Safety.

Berger also announced that he was reappointing Sens. Jerry Tillman of Randolph and Dan Soucek of Watauga as co-chairmen of the Senate Committee on Education/Higher Education. They will also serve with Sen. Tom Apodaca as co-chairs of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Education/Higher Education.

Sens. Jim Davis of Macon and Tommy Tucker of Union will co-chair the Senate State and Local Government Committee and the Appropriations Subcommittee on General Government and Information Technology.

“As former county commissioners, Sen. Davis and Sen. Tucker are able to recognize the unique issues faced by local governments during these trying economic times,” Berger said in a statement.

Perdue submits budget

Gov. Bev Perdue has submitted a budget proposal to Gov.-elect Pat McCrory, a step required under state law.

The proposal is a symbolic parting shot for the outgoing Democrat, and spokeswoman Chris Mackey acknowledged the goal is to put focus on issues the governor holds close.

In adjustments to the biennial budget for fiscal years 2014 and 2015, Perdue singles out early childhood education funding, compensation for victims of eugenics and adult care programs, among other issues that have recently been points of contention.

Perdue calls for investing $50 million to expand the state Pre-K program; $15 million to expand student access to the Smart Start program; and $39.7 million for the adult care and group home resident populations, money that would be used to pay monthly stipends to homes that will see their Medicaid reimbursements cut Jan 1.

“As the economy continues to recover, we need to preserve and maintain our long history of fiscal discipline, but at the same time, we must continue our tradition of investing in North Carolina and its nearly 10 million residents,” Perdue said in a statement.

You can find the full budget proposal on the governor’s website.

Staff writers Austin Baird and Rob Christensen

Send tips to dome@newsobserver.com.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service