Durham police officer shot; suspect in custody

Officer was conscious and alert when he was taken to the hospital

tmcdonald@newsobserver.comDecember 18, 2012 


Two members of the Durham Police Dept. SET team keep their rifles up as they cross a parking lot at the Foxfire Apartments off New Castle Rd. in north Durham Tuesday afternoon, Dec. 18, 2012. The officers were approaching an apartment at Foxfire where a suspected shooter might be hiding after the shooting of a DPD officer Tuesday morning during a traffic stop and altercation on Forest Rd. in Durham. No one was found in the apartment and DPD crime scene investigators took over from there. Another possible suspect in the shooting had been taken into custody just after 1pm on Rosetta Drive closer to downtown Durham.

HARRY LYNCH — hlynch@newsobserver.com

— Police who responded to the shooting of a fellow officer late Tuesday morning in North Durham surrounded a nearby apartment building with a heavily armed SWAT team and investigated an abandoned vehicle in the neighborhood before the suspect peacefully turned himself in to authorities in another part of town.

The police officer, whose name has not been made public, was apparently shot by a motorist on Forest Road, near Guess Road and Broad Street, during a traffic stop about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, according to Durham Police spokeswoman Kammie Michael.

Details of the incident are still being investigated, she said.

Carlos Antonio Riley Jr., 21, of Rosetta Drive, was later arrested and charged with assault on a law enforcement officer causing serious injury, robbery with a dangerous weapon and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

The wounded officer was conscious and alert when he was transported to the hospital, Michael said.

The suspect drove to New Castle Road, where he left his car. Investigators found the car and thought the suspect might be inside an apartment on New Castle Road, near Stadium Drive.

The parade of officers who arrived at the apartment surrounded the building and ordered the evacuation of two nearby apartment buildings. Nearly three hours passed while police officers with a bullhorn commanded a suspect they thought was inside the apartment to surrender.

Michael said members of the department’s selective enforcement team entered the apartment on New Castle Road, but she would not confirm witness accounts that the officers lobbed a concussion bomb into the home before going inside.

Riley turned himself in around 1:15 p.m. to police on Rosetta Drive, more than four miles away.

McDonald: 919-829-4533

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service