• Mark Gottfried is the 14th coach to defeat the Associated Press No. 1 teams at two schools. While at Alabama, he upset No. 1 Stanford, 76-67, in the 2004 NCAA tournament. Before Saturday, the Wolfpack hadnt beaten a No. 1-ranked team since Feb. 15, 2004. That also was a home win against Duke, 78-74.
• The big game in PNC Arena drew several notable attendees with N.C. State connections: American Idol winner and current student Scotty McCeery, Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams and Robert Gibbs, the former press secretary for President Barack Obama.
• Duke held a surprising rebounding advantage in the first half, as the Blue Devils grabbed 11 offensive boards and N.C. State grabbed just 10 on the defensive end. But Duke had only two offensive rebounds in the second half, both resulting in Seth Curry 3-pointers.
• Ryan Kelly is among the winningest players in Duke history and ranks third all-time with a .890 winning percentage. The Blue Devils are 105-13 with him and 4-7 when he doesnt play.
• Duke entered the game shooting 42.7 percent on 3-pointers. It made just 6 of 20 (30 percent) Saturday.