George Toth: Yes, repeal Obamacare

January 23, 2013 

Yes, repeal Obamacare

I am appalled by the lack of business acumen demonstrated by your editorial staff. The Jan. 11 editorial “’Til it hurts” is typical of the media’s one-sided view of Obamacare.

Some of the facts: Obamacare was designed to bankrupt the health care industry. How? By systematically strangling the ability of health care companies to make a profit. You cite the increase in premiums, then address that health care companies are held to spending 80 percent of their income on services, leaving only 20 percent for expense. Very few businesses can survive under these kinds of restraints.

An Indiana financial periodical cites the increasing number of health care companies pulling out of states where they have higher than average claim histories. As this was designed, limit consumer choice forcing them to go to government-provided health care. Keep your health care plan, keep your doctor, another blatant lie.

Businesses are going to shed health care in large numbers starting this year. Many doctors have plans to retire rather than have their fees cut any more. Doctors are selling practices to hospitals. Unfortunately, the media never addresses the many shortcomings. This is a bad law and needs to be repealed and replaced.

George Toth

Raleigh

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service