DURHAM — Crystal Mangum’s trial date on first-degree murder charges has been set for July 8, and she will remain in jail until then.
Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson denied Mangum’s requests to have her $200,000 bond reduced, her charges dismissed and her release to electronic monitoring.
“I’ve been through all this before with you,” Hudson said Thursday at Mangum’s fifth bond hearing.
Mangum is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Reginald Daye, 46, who died at Duke Hospital 10 days after Mangum stabbed him in April 2011.
She says she acted in self-defense and is acting as her own attorney.
Mangum gained national notoriety after accusing three Duke lacrosse players of rape in 2006. The charges were discredited in a high-profile saga that cost then-Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong his law career.
Making her requests, Mangum offered her own account of the incident that led to Daye’s stabbing and medical reports that indicated the stabbing might not have been the cause of Daye’s death.
She also said she has insufficient resources at the county jail to prepare her own defense.
Hudson said it had been her own decision to defend herself, and that evidence should be considered at trial.
“You’re very premature,” Hudson said.