Wakefield boys' basketball downs Broughton in OT

cgrant@newsobserver.comFebruary 12, 2013 

Wakefield junior Eric Crawford (21) goes for a one handed running jump shot during the third quarter. Crawford led all scorers with 25 points, including the game winder with 2 seconds left in OT. Wakefield High played at Broughton High on Tuesday, February 12, 2013. Wakefield won the game, 60-59 (OT).

GREG MINTEL — newsobserver.com Buy Photo

— Wakefield handed Broughton its second straight loss Tuesday, topping the Caps 60-59 in overtime.

Wakefield senior Eric Crawford led all scorers with 25 points, and banked in a layup with two seconds for the winning basket.

“We knew it was going to be a big game,” Crawford said. “We knew it was going to be their senior night, so they were going to come to play. ... I think this gives us a lot of confidence (going forward).”

The Cap Eight regular season ends Friday and the conference tournament begins Tuesday.

Despite the loss, Broughton remains tied with Millbrook for the league’s top spot. Millbrook lost to Wake Forest-Rolesville 62-58 on Tuesday.

“This time of year, we’re just trying to find ourselves,” said Broughton coach Jeff Ferrell. “It’s late in the year, so it sounds weird, but we have to worry about ourselves right now.”

Wakefield coach Dexter Cooley said this Wolverines team has adapted a similar mentality.

“I don’t know that we mentioned Broughton’s name once in practice yesterday,” he said about facing the Cap Eight leader.

Wakefield sits at fourth place in the conference.

Broughton controlled the game early on, taking a 9-2 lead, but the Wolverines pulled even in the second quarter to set up a back-and-forth contest.

The teams ended regulation tied at 53 points apiece.

The Caps again jumped ahead in the extra period. Sophomore Jerome Robinson scoring all six of Broughton’s overtime points to take a 59-55 lead with just more than one minute remaining, but Crawford answered with a 3-pointer to pull Wakefield within one-point.

On the other end, Broughton senior Devonte’ Graham drove to the rim, but Wakefield junior Chris Peebles drew the offensive foul. The basket was called off and Graham fouled out on the play, giving Wakefield possession of the ball with 35.2 seconds left.

After a Wakefield timeout with 6.4 seconds remaining, Crawford drove to the basket and scored the go-ahead shot with two seconds remaining.

Broughton senior James Hemphill’s last second shot sailed long at the buzzer. Hemphill led the Caps with 18 points.

“I thought we got off to kind of a shaky start, but once we settled down, we played a good game,” Cooley said. “This was a total team effort.”

Broughton girls take hold of second place

Broughton’s girls’ basketball team took sole possession of second place in the Cap Eight with a 57-44 win against Wakefield.

The two teams were tied for the conference position behind undefeated Millbrook entering the game.

Kaila Ealey led the Caps with 11 points and 17 rebounds. Justice Byrd and Jamella Foster added 10 and nine points, respectively.

Stephanie Hershaft led all scorers with 18 points for the Wolverines and Krystal Mangum added 16.

Grant: 919-829-4538

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service