1 dead, 1 facing DWI charge after I-40 wreck in Durham

From staff reportsFebruary 17, 2013 

An emergency official walks across Interstate 40 near the N.C. 54 interchange in southwestern Durham County in this frame grab of a N.C. Department of Transportation traffic camera made at 7:20 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013. A two-car wreck caused at least one fatality near the interchange overnight.

COURTESY OF NCDOT

A fatal wreck involving two cars closed eastbound Interstate 40 near N.C. 54 for more than four hours, according to a news release from the Durham Police Department.

At about 3:40 a.m. Sunday, a Honda Civic driven by Raul Herrera, 31, of High Point swerved into a Nissan Maxima, said Durham Police spokeswoman Kammie Michael in a news release.

Both eastbound vehicles went off the interstate and overturned, and both cars were totaled.

Herrera has been charged with driving while impaired and was taken to a hospital for injuries that were not life-threatening, Michael said.

The Maxima's driver, identified as Brian Edward Kiley, 38, of Goodlettsville, Tenn. died at the scene. There were no passengers in either car.

Interstate 40 has reopened and the accident site - just east of the Exit 273 interchange in southwest Durham County - cleared.

Traffic had been rerouted off I-40 at exit 273 and on to N.C. 54 from 5:15 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. while authorities investigated the scene.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service