DURHAM — One month after a judge denied a request to dismiss her charges or reduce her bail, accused murderer Crystal Mangum was released from Durham County Jail on Wednesday after posting bond.
She is due back in court July 8 on charges of first-degree murder, assault with deadly weapon and larceny in the death of Reginald Daye, 46, who died at Duke Hospital 10 days after Mangum stabbed him in April 2011.
Mangum says she acted in self-defense and is acting as her own attorney.
In a Jan. 24 hearing, Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson denied Mangums requests to have her $200,000 bond reduced, her charges dismissed and or to be released from jail under electronic monitoring.
Ive been through all this before with you, Hudson told Mangums at her fifth bond hearing.
Mangum gained national notoriety after accusing three Duke lacrosse players of rape in 2006. The charges were discredited in a high-profile saga that cost then-Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong his law career.
Making her requests last month, Mangum offered her own account of the incident that led to Dayes stabbing and medical reports that indicated the stabbing might not have been the cause of Dayes death.
She also said she has insufficient resources at the county jail to prepare her own defense.
It was not immediately clear Wednesday who or how she posted bond. A defendant may post the full amount of bail, offer collateral or pay a bondsman a percentage of the bail amount to guarantee appearance in court.