Deputies charge man in chase from Wake Forest to Raleigh

From staff reportsMarch 21, 2013 

— A car chase that ended when a man driving an SUV rammed a sheriff’s deputy’s car and then ran on foot led to his being charged with assault with a deadly weapon and him and a second man facing charges in a series of break-ins to cell-phone stores and the theft of $36,000 worth of merchandise, police and deputies said in numerous arrest warrants.

The chase began about 3 a.m. Tuesday in Wake Forest when town police tried to stop a car that had been reported to be near a break-in at a Sprint store on South Main Street.

Police saw the 1999 Ford Expedition on North Main Street, and it sped off when they tried to stop it, according to arrest warrants they filed against Brandon Anthony Griffiths, 25, of 2729 Talbot Court West in Raleigh.

The chase led to Capital Boulevard in Wake Forest and into Raleigh and finally ended on Corporation Parkway in Raleigh, warrants filed by the Wake County Sheriff’s Office explain.

There, warrants charge, Griffiths rammed the SUV into a 2013 Ford Taurus police cruiser that Deputy C.J. Kuhn was driving, then ran on foot until Wake Forest Officer D.L. Hess caught him.

Wake Forest police and Wake deputies charged Griffiths with assault with a deadly weapon on a government official, two counts of felony fleeing to elude arrest, two counts of resisting a public officer and one count of injury to personal property.

Police also accused Griffiths of being an accessory after the face of a break-in, saying he helped a man identified as “Greg” get away after the Wake Forest incident.

Later Tuesday morning, Raleigh police charged Gregg Latroy McDuffie, 22, with four break-ins at cell stores in the city and the larceny of more than $36,000 worth of phones, iPads and a tablet computer this month.

Police listed no permanent address for McDuffie.

Raleigh also charged Griffiths with those break-ins, which involved a Sprint store, a Wireless Connection and two Verizon outlets.

Griffiths was being held at the Wake County Detention Center in lieu of $250,000 bail.

McDuffie was held on a total bail of $104,000 for the break-ins and a charge of failing to make a court appearance on another charge.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service